Haboob 2013 – also known as dust storms in Arizona. Many tuned in to see the massive dust storm roll through Arizona last July.
We have not seen the likes of this magnitude of dust storm in the five years we have lived in Arizona and may never again. However, dust storms are common in the desert summertime. If you find yourself driving in one (they come up rather quickly) here are some tips to stay safe.
- Exit the freeway completely if you can
- Do not stop in an emergency lane or in your own lane of traffic
- Turn off all lights on your car – do not use emergency flashers or keep your headlights on
- Set emergency brake and take your foot off the brake
- Stay in your vehicle with seatbelts fastened until the storm passes
Visit ADOT at this link for more information. http://www.azdot.gov/ccpartnerships/haboob/safety.asp
These storms usually pass fairly quickly. Stay safe.