Sun Lakes Arizona is chock full of clubs, organizations and many things to do. But did you know there is an organization with curriculum designed for those 45 and older?
New Adventures Learning is an organization that provides opportunities for intellectual and cultural growth in a classroom setting.
New Adventures in Learning
New Adventures Sun Lakes facility is located at 25105 South Alma School Road in Sun Lakes Arizona. Learning is set in a social atmosphere where people can enjoy learning about a variety of topics of interest to them and are conducted by their peers. Presenters share their interest and expertise and participants work together to maximize a unique educational opportunity.
New Adventures is a membership based organization. Membership is $50.00 annually and only members can register for classes. New Adventures in Learning Website will provide all the information you need for membership application and course curriculum.
Registration for the 2014 season begins January 2, 2014. Classes fill up quickly so you may want to register early. The Course Series fall within the following categories:
- Traditional classes
- Roundtable discussion groups
- Computer classes taught in the Computer Lab
- Off-site field trips.
Some course topis for 2014 are:
- Welfare Myths and Realities with Presenter Bill Gates who concentrates on American social and cultural developments and issues.
- Laughing and Learning – Presenters Don and Alleen Nilsen are Professors Emeritus from the English Dept. at ASU.
- Finding Unbiased Financial Advice – Presenters Scott Sandell and Greyson Geiler – Scott is an MBA and Pres. of the Phoenix chapter of the Society for Financial Awareness (SOFA).
- How to Water the Desert Landscape – Presenter Illene O’Meara has spent 18 years as a Master Gardener in a dry climate.
- The Diversity of India and Pakistan – Presenter Larry Whitney taught high school history and world problems for 32 years and was twice a summer Fulbright Scholar traveling and studying in Pakistan and India.
- Photography – Beyond the Cell Phone – Presenter Everett Rockwood has had photos published in magazines such as National Geographic, Sailing and Traveler.
- Sudoku for Beginners – Presenter Carolyn Leja estimates she has worked over 10,000 puzzles.
- Dimensions of Grief – Presenters Bruce Perkins is a Chaplain/Bereavement Coordinator in the area of hospice. Presenter Dana Tate is the Community Outreach person for Hospice of the Southwest.
- A History of Arizona – Presenter Bill Christian is a 2nd generation native of Arizona and is a student of both U.S. and Arizona history.
- Roundtable: Is 70 the new 50? Presenter Bobbie Reed is a scientist who worked for over 30 years as a biomedical researcher.
An entire list of 2014 curriculum starting in January is available for your perusal. One thing is sure – there are plenty of opportunities to learn and make new friends.
Sun Lakes Arizona is an active adult Robson developed community with just under 10,000 homes, golf, tennis, pickle ball, fitness centers and numerous activities such as New Adventures in Learning. If you are interested in more information about Sun Lakes Arizona or the real estate market in Sun Lakes contact The KOLB Team. We are Sun Lakes residents and real estate experts who can answer all the questions you may have about this wonderful lifestyle we enjoy 365 days a year!