Why you should leave for a home showing
As a listing agent I advise clients to leave the home when it is being shown. Why? Here are the top 5 reasons:
- You may LOVE your home and maybe it was even your dream home, however not everyone is going to love it like you do. Buyers want the freedom to roam around and make comments to their real estate agent or partner as they look. Do you REALLY want to hear that they think your kitchen is dated or that the carpet needs to be replaced or the closets are too small? Buyers can and will say things that will make your hair stand on end. Avoid the emotional stress and let the buyers and their agent have the freedom to really have a look at your home. You will be happier and so will the buyer and their agent. Take a walk, visit a neighbor or run an errand.
2. The temptation to be a tour guide – No one knows your home better than you do but the LAST thing a buyer and their agent want is a tour guide. That’s the real estate agent’s job. If you have a good listing agent they will have all of your features and upgrades on a document in the multiple listing service and will have supplied you with flyers that include those items. Let the real estate agent do their job to sell your home and avoid the temptation to “show and tell”.
3. Can’t I just go out on the patio and sit? It is preferred that you leave the home. Even on the patio buyers feel they need to whisper or they resist making comments. When the seller is home – even on the patio – it makes the buyers feel uncomfortable. A normal showing is 15 to 20 minutes – longer if they REALLY love the home. And if they really love the home you are probably fine with them lingering. At that point you do not want to rush them.
4. I’ll just talk with the real estate agent while the buyers look. PLEASE DON’T. Our fiduciary responsibility as buyer’s agent is to the buyer. We need to walk with them, answer questions and represent them in making the purchase. As the seller you have an agent who is representing you and whose job it is to get the best possible price for your home. Let the buyer’s agent represent the buyers. A good buyer’s agent has done their homework and knows the features and upgrades. If they have questions they will ask the listing agent. It is against the Code of Ethics in Arizona to interfere with another agent’s client so we really can’t answer questions for you about your home or listing. We promise we are trying to get your home sold but we represent our buyers – it’s all about what they want. We are trained to point out positives and negatives.
5. Really it’s a hassle – turn on all the lights, set some background music and leave and who knows how long I’ll have to be gone! We understand that selling a home is stressful and inconvenient. As a buyer’s agent we truly do not desire to waste your time or make more work for you. We screen our buyers and know ahead of time if they are cash or financing – we pre-qualify before we show. One of the #1 reasons a home doesn’t sell is the restrictions a seller places on showings. Try to be as flexible as possible. If you want to wait until the real estate agent arrives and then leave that’s fine. Sometimes our showings take a little longer and we may be early or a little late arriving at your home. We understand that you don’t want to be gone longer than possible so wait until we arrive, but then please do leave. Some sellers have asked us to text them when we are leaving so they can return home. We are happy to do that.
So why leave home when you have a showing?
As Nike says in their ads “Just Do It”. It’s the best thing you can do. You have a lovely home so “show it off”. Turn on the lights, set some light background music, open the curtains or blinds to let all the natural light come in and then leave and trust the rest to the real estate professionals. Our goals are the same as yours – sell the home!
The KOLB Team, with Re/Max Infinity, specializes in active adult communities in Chandler, Gilbert, Queen Creek and Sun Lakes Arizona.